View Single Post
      01-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #48
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I'm being an asshole because you deliberately misinforming people.
Hear me out for a moment: How can you make such definitive statements of what is 'better' without having a way to substantiate that - it's bullshit.

You have literally no evidence outside of brand name, no first hand experience on this platform to make such a definitive statement, and you're upset with me for calling you on it?

So tell me again why the OP (or anyone for that matter) should spend $2500 for a kit that objectively might be better by the minuscule amounts, which honestly doesn't matter since OP isn't in competitive racing.
OK I'll play. BTW I'm not upset, you are, and you're calling me out for stuff you aren't providing either, which makes you a hypocrite.

Maybe you have a reading comprehension issue. I am making definitive, objective statements about parts that have certain capabilities and features I consider essential to a track car. That cheap coil overs don't have. The (informed) opinion is whether those are important features to have or not, and I freely admit that is an opinion. I do own an XI and have modified it extensively. I don't want to put coil overs on that car. I am happy with a koni/eibach/ZSP set up.

And, in case you still can't read, I am NOT recommending OP or anybody else buy coil overs for this platform. I am actually saying don't do it. I am recommending if they still do want to they buy good ones that have capabilities cheaper ones don't, like being rebuildable and (at least) rebound adjustable. And I have recommended lower end coil overs for street use for people who have difficulty getting ride height correct on this specific XI platform because it seems to be so hard for some to get right.

If you have some objective measure or direct personal experience that supports your claim that non-adjustable non-rebuildable cheap no-name $800 coil overs are as good as 3k TCK/KW/Ohlins etc. FOR TRACK PURPOSES by all means put it up here. Not getting why you are so cranky esp since I am not even doing or saying what you claim you are so upset about.

My 335XI is not a track car, and never will be. It's a pig (4000 lbs) and has an AT. I live at 8k ft ASL my house has seen 10 ft of snow this season already WTF do I need coil overs for? You don't even need coil overs to run drivers schools and I said so. My point is simply if you want them be aware they are tools for people who know how to use them. So make sure you need them and then make sure you understand why. As such buy some good ones.

Now being a former serious track junkie, having set up lots of cars, even worked in the industry for years maybe some people might want to hear what I've got to say. Some might not but not getting all the hate. I do own an XI, I am familiar with its suspension quirks and there are a lot of them. It is a big heavy AWD car and if I were to even think about tracking it at much higher suspension loads I'd want a fairly high quality suspension on it. Because my life would depend on it. Literally. Just my preference.

Now why don't you tell us which cheap coil over kit you have on your XI and regale us with how well it does after thousands of track miles, and compare it to the expensive coil over kit you also ran for thousands of miles. Oh yeah, and the dyno plots. All 48 of them for the expensive double adjustables, too. Before and after 5000 track miles. Lap times too, cheap vs expensive would help, and notes on all settings.

JFC

Last edited by ajsalida; 01-19-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0