View Single Post
      09-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #58
Austin LeNomad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I would recommend you replace all the arms when doing this

I just want to add a slightly different viewpoint, as I just finished doing this job myself. For reference, it's a 2006, with a little over 100,000 miles. I see people posting about how they did this in an hour or so. I'm guessing that might be with less mileage, or some luck. The bushing, even if not leaking, gets pretty worn, and so in my case, I had to end up cutting the bolts and everything apart to get it off the car, using a sawzall and cutter because it was so loose you couldn't get it to stay still, not even with a clamp and a jack pressed against it. Also, if you are unfamiliar with the job, you will need a several Torx sizes to get everything off.

My advice is not to screw with the bushings alone (popping in and out) unless you have done it before. Save the time and get both arms. M3 or not up to you, but just get the whole thing so you can pop them right on after you fight to get the off. My other suggestion is that you replace both the upper and lower arms for consistency of the vehicle across the car. My other suggestion is that you also check your tie rods at this time, and if you can, replace those as well, because everything is out of the way.

However, this is definitely a job you can do, on tall jackstands so you have the clearances to get some room to move around.

I just got them from RockAuto, OEM replacements. Fixed the shaking and made the car feel like new again. I also replaced my inner and outer tie rods. My passengers side tie rod had seized, so I had to cut that off as well.
Appreciate 0