View Single Post
      10-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #95
TylerJamesInc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 328i 6MT M-Sport Slicktop

Thanks to this thread, I recently reworked my "N52"(actually an N51, so I can't call it an N52 in good conscience) muffler.
I took a different approach than I've seen anyone else take, and the results are fantastic!
After cutting open the casing, I came up with my plan. I then cut the two ~1.75" tailpipe 90's out, and removed the tailpipes altogether.
I got a 3" 90*, and a 2.25" 180* mandrel bend from a local exhaust supply shop to make my new routing.
I'll let the pics speak for themselves, but it tuned out great. To be clear- all the packing went back in. The new routing is very simple- the 2.75" inlet comes in, goes through the perforated/packed section once, and goes through a custom 3" to dual 2.25" tailpipe y. The 3" worked perfect to slip over the 2.75" lip where it exits the packing chamber, and also wasn't difficult to flatten in order to transition well to the 2.25" y. As you can see, I cut open WAY more than I needed to. My original plan was to try to clone the PE more closely, but after looking at how much fabrication work that would be, I came up with a much easier(and better, IMO) method. If you follow my method, you only need to cut open the tailpipe-side chamber.
2.25" to 3" stainless single wall tips are damn near impossible to find, so I got two rolled edge tips, and cut them to my liking.
Hope this helps a member- or two- with their own N52 muffler chop.
Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
David0ff1059.00