View Single Post
      12-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #223
jetdriven
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive sedan

I have found a solution after a lot of work. The CSF radiator is very efficient. The lower 4” of this radiator is a low temperature circuit to cool the transmission. Water passes from the left tank through a slot inside the left corner pfnrhe radiator inside the drain, along he bottom 4” of radiator, To the right side. There is a 5/8” hose on the extreme right hand bottom corner of the radiator which takes water from this circuit and sends it directly to water inlet pipe on the N54. Amazingly it is enough to keep coolant temps at 80c or even less at ambient temperatures of 50f and below. Mine at 65 MPh on a 30 degree night the highest coolant temp observed was 70C. Far too low. Fuel mileage is bad, and the heater doesn’t work.
Here’s the solution. Buy a hose pincher from amazon and put it on the low temperature circuit hose between the radiator and the water pipe. Squeeze the hose down to 1/2 or less of it’s original diameter. Monitor coolant temp in the Kombi under section 7.0. Shoot for 90-100c on The highway. Remove the hose pincher in the summer. You could also install a shutoff valve with hose barbs too.
Appreciate 0