06-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #110
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
I'm going to be the exception to the rule here and the M3 diff was just a piece of the puzzle, the puzzle being a complete M3 drivetrain retrofit with the M3 GWS, Drivelogic, and M3 DCT GTS software, M3 KOMBI, DSC, and SZL, with hopes of functional MDM and Mdrive with a modified IKM0S ROM.

If you just take the M variable LSD alone, yes it's one of the weaker LSD units out there, the bonus here is the seriously stouter driveshaft and axles that mate up to the diff casing. The diff is bolted and there's a huge variety of gear ratios available for it as well as any number of aftermarket LSD units. I was lucky enough to find a like new unit, 30k miles, that had just been sitting in this local guys garage and he wanted it gone, $350 later it was in my garage. I spent the extra $ for a custom gear ratio and full rebuild while my guy was in there so I have $1300 in it and another $700 in the DS and axles, both with 13k miles on them. I'm at 500whp/550wtq and I know it won't last forever but for a guy that only puts 7k-8k miles a yr on his car it will last a while. All I know is with PS4's on with open diff I could smoke them through 3rd. Now it just hooks with a minimum of spin and gets it. Like I said, my situation is different from most but I have no regrets so far but like feuer said if you're only in it for a LSD there's better options than the M variable.

And if anyone's interested in a complete 335is DCT drivetrain, you know where to find one now.