United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydawgg View Post
Do you have any leaks with that gasket maker? The recommended on the M5 through BMW is loctite 193140 the dealer said it is the same recommended for N54. The one shown in the picture is the one for the differential but If it works Ill go with that one as its 1/2 the price.
Agreed. I called my local BMW Dealer and talked to the Parts Mgr. The Bentley Repair Manual lists loctite sealant 128357, which does not exist any longer. Loctite 193140 replaces it. The BMW part no. Is 83190439030. It's about $50.00

The sealant primer is still 171000, which has a BMW part no. of 83197515683

I initially ordered the Loctite 5970 and tried to use it. There is no way you can stick the plastic nose of the bottle between the seal groove and the hub. There is no gap to do that. At least on my N54, that's how it is. My N54 is an early model from 01/07. I installed the gasket flush to the block with the tool that came with the kit I bought. Again, no gap for a plastic nozzle to squeeze in there between the block & the gasket and inject gasket maker, at the seam of the engine block.

So, I had to get another gasket & order Loctite 193140. This sealant has a syringe type needle, as pictured in the Bentley Repair Manual.

There's nothing like doing the job (2x).

I'll update the forum on my results. If all else fails and I have to do this a 3rd time, I'll use Ultra Black Gasket Maker. I used this in conjunction with the seal on the VC, and it worked like a charm there.

Ok. Update ———

Just got the 2nd seal and loctite 193140 from FCP Euro. Paid $28.00 for overnight shipping. They don't give you the freaking needle to screw onto the cap of the sealant bottle, yet they charge you $50.00 for like 2oz of sealant. Not only that, but there are warnings all over the bottle & packaging that this stuff causes cancer!!!! This is absurd and ludicrous. I'm sending this crap back and using Ultra black. Tried to call FCP. Their customer service closes at 2:00pm on Friday. WTF....

Note: ECS tuning does have a kit with the needle, primer and some sort of sealing tool for $127.00.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...83190439030kt/

Had I known that to begin with, that's the route I would have gone. Too late. I'm using Ultra Black. Car has been sitting up on two jack stands for a week. Holiday weekend fostered this time span to be sure.

I put a bead of Ultra Grey just inside the lip of the opening; I then slathered it all over the outside and inside of the gasket. I half installed it and put a small amount in the divots, of the gasket, where the block meets the crank case seems. I then Installed it the rest of the way and then ran a bead on the outside of the crank case seems, as well as on top of the gasket. Sort of like sealing up a window or caulking the metal seams of the shell of a glass shower door, when you first install it. As the DIRECTIONS state, you have to wait 24 hours for Ultra Grey to FULLY cure. So, I won't start the car and check for leaks until that time period is up.

Ultra Grey is for areas that have high amounts of vibration. Aka belts & pulley area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0