View Single Post
      09-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #16
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
That's such a weird place for it to leak, but from some basic research, it looks like that's the most common failure point. Mine has no signs of leaking so far.

The radiator is easy to replace. The hardest part is removing the fan, which has some rubber grommets that can be a pain to get off. Silicone spray helps a great deal.

The jbweld solution is actually a pretty good idea. The leak is so small that this is a great application of it, especially in a pinch.
Its the perfect spot to spring a leak. A tight radius corner on the inside of a piece of plastic thats attached to a lever (hose) connected to a vibrating and rocking motor. If the radiator was going to crack, thats exactly where I would expect it to let go.
You can JB weld it in a pinch, but once the crack starts in the radiator tank, its going to keep going. The JB weld is really just sealing the leak. Sooner or later, you're going to still need a new radiator. Probably best to do it before the whole hose neck lets go. Upper radiator necks seem to be a BMW Achilles heel. I recall this being an issue at least back to e36s.
Appreciate 0