Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Interestingly, I have a friend at work with a 2010 328i with 80,000 on it. She's the original owner, and it's only been serviced at the local dealership she bought it from. She just had an annual oil change done, so of course she got "the list". We went over the list: OFHG, VCG, Belt and tensioner, PS flush ("discolored"), and coolant ("discolored"). So thinking is was mostly BS, we checked under the hood. Indeed, the belt was about 1/2MM over the front of the pulley; the belt is clean though. The OFHG was showing signs of leaking, not terrible though, and the valve cover was grimy all around the front and down the right side, not really wet though, just seeping. I told her she needs to get the belt/tensioner done ASAP and might as well do the OFHG just to keep everything clean. Pricey stuff at the dealership. I was surprised at how grimy (oil film + dirt) her engine was compared to my N52 at any mileage I can recall from memory.

Now my car with the metal-head N52 (magnesium valve cover) was leak free at the VCG at 300,000 miles (I did it at 300K to replace the ESS), and while I've done the OFHG twice now, it never was as bad looking as her N52. I think the mag-head covers are better for not leaking, but maybe less reliable with the part-intensive catch can PCV system . I did my tensioner at 300,000 and it was in fine shape, enough that I kept it as a spare.

I do also have the plastic-head N52 in my '08 Z4, currently at 90,000 miles and it is dry everywhere and the tensioner looks good for the moment. I have a new belt/tensioner kit ready to go when the time comes.

Did your ESS fail at 300k? That would be quite impressive
I know many change when they do the VCG, what are your thoughts?
Only do it if it has oil on it?
Appreciate 0