View Single Post
      11-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #29
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
To drop the transmission you need to lift the front of the engine, separate the two, then tilt (rotate) the transmission towards left, and is out. I have not used special alignment clutch tools for on this Bmw (but I have on other makes/models). From tools you only need wobble extension and etorx sockets. I use alignment tool to slide the transmission off/on. Similar to those used for wheels. Like a stud. But mine is homemade.
Do you access the top transmission bolts using a ratchet with a flex head or do you lower the transmission a bit first and use extensions to get up there? They say to use a ratchet with a flex head in this video and to go in from the top.

https://youtu.be/gaK7xdeob1k

They also mention rotating the transmission towards the left, but thank you for pointing it out again. I kinda put that bit of info in the back of my mind but I'll remember it now since it seems pretty important.

As for the homemade transmission alignment tool, I think I have an idea what you mean. Do you have a picture by chance? What I'm imagining is a decently long bolt with the head chopped off. Which bolt hole do you place it in? I'm thinking bottom left, get the trans to hang on it and then rotate everything back in place & bolt it back up? This is a good tip to be honest, I was a little concerned about maneuvering it back into place but this seems pretty foolproof.
Appreciate 0