View Single Post
      01-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #66
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

I have driven three BMW 3 series: 1995 318i E36 (up to 165,000 miles),a 2001 330i E46 (up to 96,000 miles) and my current 2011 335i E90 (has 56,000 miles).

I can say with out a doubt that my oldest car ever the E36 had ZERO cooling issues in the time I've owned it. At 165k it still had original water pump, radiator and thermostat (Only thing I replaced was the hoses prematurely).

My E46 coolant system gave out mainly at the 85k mark. Replaced the hoses, a cracked expansion tank, and prematurely replaced the original water pump (which still looked good after 10 years 80k+ miles in the car) with a Stewart EMP Water Pump.

My E90 at 50k miles had a leaky expansion tank and the water pump/thermostat failed. So there is that.

Sad thing is though the replacement coolant parts were $300(DIY) to $500 with shop labor for a full revamp of the E36 cars. On the E90 A full revamp of the cooling system was a about $500 (DIY) to $800 shop labor. On the E90 the water pump alone cost $500 to $800 and shops want $1000 to $1200 just for that labor alone so I couldn't even tell you what a full E90 cooling system revamp cost.

Sickening.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilua View Post
I'm just venting. I've owned 3 different BMW's gladly to say this will be my last one. I'm just fed up with fixing the cooling system all the time. It just seems like BMW use the same material on their models including the early 2000 model, which BREAKS all the time. I'm talking about the plastic they use on all of their hoses, radiator, expansion tank, etc. They get old and becomes brittle (sometimes muddy on the inside) which break off and spew coolant everywhere. On my current car (2008 335i), I've replaced almost all the plastic component (unfortunately though multiple occasions) including the expansion tank, radiator, multiple hoses with the plastic fitting onto the engine, as well as thermostat and water pump. I afraid to drive this car long distance because probably the first hose/plastic piece will fail again because it has been 50K miles or so ago.

This is not only the issue with the E90 line but as well as the E46, E53. I'm not sure if the change has been made on the F30. Why is it so hard for BMW to recognize this is the issue????
We've owned Acura/Honda, Toyota/Lexus, and they never seem to have this issue.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0