View Single Post
      03-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
stop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

Auto Tuned built Streetfighter LA E90 Widebody (WARNING LOTS OF PICTURES)

Once upon a time I had a FRS:

Which unfortunately got totaled as a result of getting rear ended.

Instead of buying a new car in LA, my friends at Auto Tuned and I thought it would be a cool project to build my 2009 E90 that was my daily in Vancouver:

So in February of 2018 I ended up making the drive down from Vancouver back to LA with my E90 and had it officially imported and registered in California. We were contemplating what to do with the car and how we wanted to build it. Unfortunately body kit options for the E90 are few and far between, and we wanted to do something slightly more unique than the usual M conversions. What we ended up settling on was the Street Fighter LA widebody kit which gave it a nice aggressive look with the wider profile while maintaining the original lines of the stock body.

Once the kit came it in was time to test fit:

Obviously with any moulded widebody, it took countless hours of bondo, sanding, shaping and reshaping to ensure all the lines of the kit lined up with the stock lines. I really need to tip my hat off to Young Tea and everyone else at the shop for all the time spent to make sure everything was on point:

There were some liberties we had taken with the styling of the kit such as moulding these back plates onto the bumper:

Here's a shot of the car after all the primer and sanding, and finally ready for some color:

We originally were planning on having the car painted McClaren's Chicane Grey but giving some timing constraints with our paint guy, and SEMA projects starting to pile up we decided to have the car wrapped for the time being with Avery's new Gloss Sea Breeze Blue:

We also decided that given the shop's history and experience in building JDM vehicles, we wanted to maintain characteristics of JDM styling for the car. So we threw a big wang on the trunk:

For wheels, we kept the Gram Lights 57Xtreme's from my FRS for the time being. Unfortunately given this car is still quite a bit wider than my widebodied FRS we had to run spacers on top of the hub adapters. Properly fitting wheels are definitely on the list of next purchases!

I wanted the car louder while still not sounding too ricey or obnoxious so we went with the Remus Race quad tips:

Given LA roads, and my history of breaking things, we decided to go with air suspension for this car with Airlift's 3P management system. Our friends at Fly1 Motorsports also hooked it up with something special for the air tank:

Here's the finished product as of September of 2018:

Unfortunately me not being careful enough, and also having worked a 100 hour week (I crunch numbers for a living), I got into a bit of an accident a few days after getting the car back on the road:

Luckily, everything eventually was sorted out and the car is back on the road now:

Here's a shot from Tuner Evo last weekend from my friend @lxiiphotography:

And here's teaser of a shoot we did the morning before roll-in:

And here are two of the renders we had conceptualized:

Bit of a long thread but here's where we're at with the build. It's not even close to being finished there are still a number of minor things to button down such as getting my VRSF downpipes installed so I can get a proper tune with the VRSF intercooler already installed.

Next steps for the build will be to finish the exterior aero with a custom front lip, rear diffuser, and splitters all around. Will also need to get new wheels that fit properly. Then finally move on to the interior.
Appreciate 4