View Single Post
      04-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #16
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I think the oil leaked from between the valvetronic motor gasket and the valve cover, and maybe between some ultrasonically welded seams that came loose.

It would be easy to try RTV first, it is a lot less involved than removing the valve cover. And with the valvetronic motor removed, you can soak up the oil in the two wells under the motor. I also spray cleaned the area with electronic parts cleaner (on a cold engine).

I first tried using the RTV to reseal the valvetronic motor gasket. I also clean up the oil leak down the passenger side the best I could. It cut down the leak significantly but the burning oil smell continued and the oil leak came back down the passenger side onto the exhaust. There were no visible cracks that I could see, but I did not want to play cat and mouse any more with it.

Therefore I sprang for a new valve cover gasket made by Uro. Also RTV'ing the new valvetronic motor gasket that came with it (stamped "Mahle" on the metal plate). Took a few days to burn off the spilled oil removing the valve cover, and problem solved.

The valve cover/gasket design by BMW really sucked.

Using Permatex Ultra Black, between the valvetronic motor gasket and the valve cover, as well as between the motor and the gasket. Allow to fully cure:

The Uro cover is a softer plastic, but it worked. The cover flexed a little when I pressed down on it, where as the OEM one did not. Maybe that was the problem with the OEM one, I do not know. I replaced the valve cover gasket once already, I thought might as well try a new aftermarket valve cover. BMW is synonymous with leaks to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberet123 View Post
Did my VCG 6 months ago. I reused the Valve cover but used a new ESS and new Valvetronic gasket and everything was working great.

Until 2 months ago, when the oil burning smell resurfaced. I popped open the vanity cover and there is a large pool of oil under the Valvetronic (see pics).

View post on imgur.com

I didn't notice any cracks there when I inspected the Valve cover. Also, there is no oil on the Valvetronic gasket (at least on the visible part). Any ideas as to where the oil is leaking from?

Thanks!

Last edited by mainbearing; 03-16-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0