05-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
See what I mean...… ^
Yes, you WERE/ARE RIGHT and that's where I "made my error", replying, even in jest, to a thread that elicits all the thoughtful discourse of a "Trump Rally".

As to the part about OCI & "2019 lubricant technology" I do NOT profess to be an expert on the issue, but I note that there was no mention of ever having done any "oil analysis." Mike Miller, in his "Lifetime Maintenance Schedule" (pdf attached) states at page #5:
"the only way to verify an ideal fluid change interval is through consistent use of oil analysis."
Perhaps we could actually CALMLY & RATIONALLY focus on ONE aspect of OCI which I have NOT seen discussed, and that is "Crankcase Life" of Full Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil. With conventional oil, it was generally suggested that oil be changed every 3,000 - 5,000 miles or every YEAR, whichever occurred first. Since MOST of us don't have an oil analysis lab in our garage, I would be interested in knowing (link or cite to) any research report on "oil quality" degradation over time for Full Synthetic vs. Conventional.

ADDED QUESTION: "Short Trips" where full operating temp was never attained (e.g. driving 2 or 3 miles to work) used to be cited as hardest on oil quality. So perhaps rather than focusing on time sitting in oil sump after initial use, the focus should be on temperature changes, moisture attack on oil, etc.? ANY tests known, Synthetic/Conventional?

Thanks for playing (nicely ;-)
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Lifetime Maintenance Schedule v03.13, Mike Miller 2013.pdf (617.0 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by gbalthrop; 05-01-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0