bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leif20 View Post
A few updates to this:
First fluid change was at 119k miles or 193k km. Drained and refilled about 6L. Trans shifted beautifully for the next 10 months and 10k mi.

Began to experience a solid 2-1 jolt, and slipping on 4-5 upshift around this time. I thought the upshift slip could be due to a cracked bridge seal, but after inspection it was not that. After many hours of research I decided to replace the solenoids. 3000 miles later the car is shifting beautifully again. No more slip or jolts. 5-6 upshift on highway is imperceptible.

I have a question about reusing the fluid from the trans. If I drained and filled ~6L originally does that mean the fluid that is in there is about 60% new?

When I did the solenoid job (which fixed the trans) at 128k miles or 213kkm I tried to reuse what fluid I could, but did lose a couple liters during the job. I ended up having to use 2 new bottles. The fluid came out quite dark, but not smelly or burnt or black. I guess I've put about 9 liters of new fluid in the trans since 120k mi, which would be about the capacity of it. I'm currently at 135k miles.

My question is when or if should I change fluid next? I'm wondering since it keeps mixing with the old stuff if it's really as 'good' as new fluid. I would guess the fluid in the trans now is around 75% 'worn.' Would I want to do another fluid change in 45k miles? That would be about 60k km on the new fluid mixture. What is everyone's recommendation for fluid changes at higher mileages?

Thankfully I can drive the car hard again, and do when i get the chance (but a bit less frequently than I used to).
You're never going to get 100% swap out. I don't see the point of reusing oil, it just goes against what its there for. If you're that concerned, then use the cheaper stuff first, then drain and replace once a month for next two months - then you're good till next transmission filter change. That will get you as good as you need to be. <---This is what I did. About every 75K is probably great, but I've done it every 50K.

Friend of mine who was really anal and paranoid does this:
Following a full transmission job: filter, ATF drain, pan/gasket as applicable; wait a week then drain and replace ATF procedure; wait another week; drain and replace procedure. After that, once a year, drain and replace ATF until its time to do a full service again. I think that's overkill, and expensive, but to each his own.
Appreciate 0