View Single Post
      03-10-2020, 02:06 PM   #16
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Why? What's wrong with getting a 0W-30 vs a 5W-30. While the 0W is not needed in most climates, how can you go and say you wouldn't' suggest it?
I don't see any purpose of 0W unless you live in Siberia.

Lexus's 3.5L V6 states that up to 20W50 can be used in the UAE manual. Many older designs which are still used today easily have internal clearances for using oil this thick. But most engines such as these are good for up to 10W50. There isn't really much point in using so thick unless your car burns oil, but I tried 20W50 anyways in the winter up to -15C temperatures. Only then did the oil feel a bit too thick on cold starts. Below -25C when parked outside you may want a 0W.

Past 30C, driving the car hard is when 5w50-10W50 would serve benefit, but not for very long unless it has a truly good additive package. If the additives are poor ot insufficient. eventually the oil breaks down which leads to carbon build up and fuel dilution. For 90% of driving application 5W40=5W50 is what I would consider a sweet spot. Once fuel starts to break down your supply of oil, it doesn't matter whatsoever which weight you decided to use.
Appreciate 0