Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by con.fetti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Before jumping in, try doing a few basic things like using INPA. This will help you confirm your connections before you do something that really needs a good connection.

Its very hard to brick a DME with Winfkp. If you screw up the DME will go into recovery mode but that's easy to fix, scary but easy.

Regardless you need good reliable connections.
Thank you for the response. I'm still waiting for the 3im in the mail so I have plenty of time to make sure things are configured before jumping in. For the cable, I'll be using the official Bimmergeeks one as I've heard nothing but good things about it. As far as INPA goes, I get the OK that the cable is connected and the ignition is on.

I read that you should keep a battery charger on the car during the process. Is that just as simple as plugging in the charger while the car is in accessory mode? I've used a trickle charger 100s of times, but never while the car is set to accessory.
Checking the connection with INPA is just part of the process as I check for stored errors before the flash. If I get an error after the flash, I'm pretty sure the flash was the cause.

I always use a battery charger when doing a long flash like RSA delete. Just a habit, my older E85 ran the fuel pump during the flash and it took 20 amps to keep up with the loads. No trickle charger will manage that.

My E89 does not run the fuel pump while flashing but I never checked the load during a flash. I have a great 45 amp charger in the garage. Takes two minutes to hook up and I don't worry about it. Frankly you run the RSA delete once, just be prepared.

For the short flashes, I just keep the radio, headlights and fans turned off. They should only take 1-2 minutes. Even with the tiny battery fitted into my E85 that was never an issue. With that car, I frequently flashed on the road, just pull into a gas station and try something new.
Appreciate 0