K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Update on Dynavin install:

I had time to work on it this afternoon and it appears (fingers crossed) everything is working, including the backup camera.

Forget about tapping power for the camera off of the reverse lights - it does not work on E9x. Dynavin's install guide doesn't really address a camera addition but they do have a separate "Wiring Diagram of the Universal Camera to the Dynavin N7/N7 Pro" document. However, in that document they say that you only use the red power wire off the head unit if you are installing on an E46, E39, or E53 (to a green "Reverse Trigger" wire). However, for the E9x you do need to connect the red power wire from the camera to the red power wire on the head unit and just cap off the red wire at the camera end. You do still need to connect the ground wire at the camera end. I tapped into the brown ground wire going to the right side lights:

And, finally, the backup camera worked when in Reverse. And, then, an hour or so later, it didn't. Fortunately, I remembered that there is a setting for Aftermarket Camera that has to be checked. While it had been checked before and must have been when the camera worked an hour ago, it was now unchecked. So, put the check in and . . . it works again.

Then, suddenly, I found that the Sirius XM radio was not working. I thought that it must have gotten disconnected when I pulled the unit out to connect the camera power wire. Pulled it out again but nope, everything properly connected. Then I remembered in the settings, you have to set the region to USA and when I looked, yep, it had reverted to UK even though I had it set to USA before.

So, I think everything is working as it should, but still need to figure out some of the quirks of the system. I copied my music MP3 files to a micro SD card and inserted it and it works, although I'm not sure it is any faster than the USB drive. Also, I did figure out that most albums/songs display the album art but not all. Those downloaded from iTunes, Amazon all have artwork. Those that I loaded from CDs have artwork if iTunes was able to read the album artwork or was able to find it and load it. In some instances I had to go and find the artwork on my own and load it and then associate it with the files. Some of those show the artwork but some do not. Also, music obtained other ways - converted from YouTube for example - and for which I added artwork sometimes do and sometimes don't display. Yes, I know, "Who cares?" Yeah, I can't do that - getting all the album artwork to display is like a challenge to me and I cannot let it go.

Also, when selecting music by song, album, or artist, I'm not sure how to quickly jump instead of having to scroll through the entire list. If this is not possible, then selecting music that way is not practical. I do have the music files organized in folders and sub-folders organized by artist (folder for all artists A, then sub-folders for each artist, then sub-folders for each album) since this was the fastest way through the old OEM system. I'm used to it, it works, but I had hoped for something a bit more sophisticated.

Anyway, it's in and I'm looking forward to an up-to-date listening experience!
Appreciate 0