View Single Post
      07-20-2021, 03:16 AM   #203
StevenN
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Hi Steven,

Have you had a chance to retry this with a new CF adaptor?

I just tried and failed to get a PATA SSD to work - could no longer find the Zheino, so ordered a KingSpec one from AliExpress. All copied fine using Paragon (raw sector by sector), but the car wouldn't recognise it.

Having seen this update from Jagaer, I'm now thinking about going the CF route instead. The Kingston 128gb UDMA7 memory card is no longer available so I'm keen to know if any other brand 128gb UDMA7 memory card would be compatible.

Yes, this worked perfectly.

From looking into this issue with changing the HDD to SSD I have identified the following issues, and possible reasons for the MSATA failing, PATA SSD Working and the CF Alternative:

1: MSATA And Adapter
Using a MSATA with an adapter does not work. SSD's need to be able to utilise something called, "Garbage Collection" this with the later "TRIM" function allows the drive to be deleted. For whatever reason, (Probably the MSATA controller) the MSATA does not utilise the garbage collection properly, resulting in a filled unusable drive. See the link below for other people who have experienced this problem:

https://www.podfeet.com/blog/2016/03...ge-collection/

2: PATA SSD
Using a PATA SSD does seem to work for some people. If someone has a PATA SSD and has deleted music collections, updated maps etc please let us know, however, I think the reason why PATA SSD's do and possibly work is becuase the "Garbage Collection" works through the HDD Controller. The MSATA Controllers just don't seem to work properly. I am ignoring the later utilised TRIM commands, as QNX4 Does not support it.

The usage of a PATA SSD, this is something which could be worth investigating further, however, as the cost of a PATA SSD is considerably more than a Compact Flash and adapter, this may not be a viable alternative.

3: Compact Flash
Compact Flash. This utilises the old standard dating back to 1994. It works exactly as a normal HDD, and to about 99% of operating systems appears as a normal HDD. The drawback is that the cost going back a few years was fairly prohibitive. This has now changed, however, an example of cost would be a 128gb MSATA can be purchased today for around £25.00 whereas a 128Gb Compact Flash is around £65.

Possibly going back to September 2008 when the CIC was first utilised in the 7 Series and used QNX 4, was the reason why the Toshiba HDD was chosen. QNX 4 did not support SSD's and a suitably sized Compact Flash was probably not available, or if so, the cost would have been completely unviable.

Compact Flash Adpater
Using the adapter as shown in the previous links, like myself, my cloning adapter would not fit, as the alignment pin is in place. You will need to cut this out. This I would suggest by aligning a 2.5" PATA HDD up and checking and double checking the pins and cutting it out. (a simple small cutter will work) I am unsure if this is required for the CIC, I believe the original poster to this thread has not done this. I only needed to to connect to my adapter.

On running this with the Compact Flash, I have deleted the HDD music collection twice, updated the maps and no issues.

I then tried this with the MSATA, (As the car was in pieces again) I decided to try this. The MSATA failed again. Music collection became unusable, I did not even try to update the map, as it became obvious it had failed as the CD player would no longer work.

The CD Player not working was the first indication I experienced, that something was not working properly when I had the MSATA installed. Then I discovered the HDD music collection also not working or available. Up until this point, there had been no obvious sign that something was amiss, I had not tried updating maps, I simply could not play CD's or access the HDD music collection. It could be a case that many people have the MSATA installed and have not noticed anything amiss either, the CD player is the first and easiest way to determine that something is wrong, it simply will not play.

Summary and conclusion
In summary, it seems that the Compact Flash is the most suitable upgrade, however, I may be talking a complete load of rubbish, and if people have experienced different, pleae let us know.

Last edited by StevenN; 07-20-2021 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 2