View Single Post
      11-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

JWL spec (OEM vs. "Made in China")

So I have had a heck of a merry-go-round with wheels. I got a set of 162 staggered OEM wheels from Craigslist (8" fronts / 8.5" rears). But I had trouble finding 255/35R18 tires that would match the rolling circumference of the 225/40R18 fronts (that's the OEM setup for AWD) in the same tire. Thanks for irreparably damaging the supply chain... you-know-who.

So I went out and bought some new non-OEM wheels in style 162 18x8.5 ET39 to match the rears I have with the intention of running them in a square setup. The site that sold them says very clearly "manufactured to the same JWL specification as OEM wheels". They were reasonabley priced... but they are also not ridiculously cheap. They shipped from Ohio so I figure, probably a decent wheel.

Well, they arrived and right away they felt a little bit lighter than the OEM's to me. They are stamped JWL, but by other research says that's not something you can rely on. Also stamped on them is a 660KG load limit, which seems like it might be low. Anybody know what the load rating is for the OEM wheels (I can't find it stamped on them), and any opinions if 660KG load rating is safe on a 335xi that is going to be running them in the rear, and OEM in the front?
Appreciate 0