View Single Post
      02-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Our Mediacrap connection was going south almost every night for a while. It always started around 7:30-8PM and got worse as the evening went on. They sent a tech out during the day, when there is never a problem, to check the signal at the house. Of course it was fine. But the tech told me Verizon was no longer supporting DOCSIS 3.0 modems, so maybe that was my issue. I had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so I bought a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem. It came up fine and seemed to be okay until a couple nights later when the problem started again. I checked with Verizon again and they said since I had a strong signal reading and have a new modem, it must be the coax cable between the outside and my modem. I asked them to explain how a coax cable only goes bad at a certain hour most nights and they had no answer.

Over the next week I saw two Mediacrap vehicles at houses near mine and figured I wasn't the only one having issues. They must have done something to fix it because we've had no issues for a week or two now.

The only other provider in this area is Consolidated Communications and their DSL, which is even slower than Mediacrap's service.
I had an issue with their service when performance was literally down to a crawl. Only regular HTTP/web surfing was ok. Streaming....forget it. And it was affecting the VPN sessions I was trying to get established. I finally broke down and called Mediacrap. The rep looked at the stats for my circuit and immediately acknowledged there was a problem. A tech was scheduled without me fighting for it.

Tech shows up and sees a problem with the inline TV block. It was full of water and junk. He didn't have one on the truck to replace it and just wired my line into the distro box. He explained the TV block was to prevent me from enjoying basic TV service without paying for it. He said he's going to trust that I won't take advantage of it. The removal of the block improved the signal and noise situation but there was still a problem. After further troubleshooting, the RG6 cable that the builder's sub put in was bad. Don't know how an RG6 cable can just go bad after working for years. Fortunately, the builder's sub was smart and had a second RG6 cable pulled from the outside DMARC to the structured wiring cabinet. So it was just a matter of the tech terminating the ends of the second run and connecting it in. That fixed the problem.

One time the drop out in service was so bad one month, that I complained to Mediacrap and they didn't even put up a fight with giving me a full month's credit.

I don't know what Mediacrap is telling you about the DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I'm using a Surfboard SB6121 which is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem without issue. I only have the basic level of service though. I have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for my primary home with Comcast because I have their Gig service.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615647.50