05-10-2022, 10:33 PM   #168
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I think there are several advantages of ICE vehicles, but having to go the gas station with the idea you can fill up in 5 minutes, isn't one of them. It is an inferior experience than an EV if you have a home charger overall. I literally never have to stop, maybe 3-4 times a year how can anyone argue beating that experience? Great you can fill up in 5-8 minutes of your time, every week, sometimes more than once, enjoy doing that?

My point about the running out of "gas" was in response to real-world objections I've heard in real life. There are several cool tricks modern EV's have to guide to easily to your charging destination, including real world energy consumption and guidance down to the speed you need to go to make it. Not many people know that, or would because they don't own an EV.

It is great to have a civil discussion about this topic!

I also agree EV's are not ready for mass adoption as less than half of the population can charge at home. I thought I made that clear above. If you can't charge at home I personally think its not a great idea. When anyone can charge in less than 10 minutes I think it will really open the door to mass adoption.
It's pointless. I have had people on here argue with me that the fact I had to take 5 sec each day to plug it in on my way inside from the garage was a lot more effort than going to the gas station once a week or whatever.

Honestly before I owned an EV I might have agreed with them. However once you actually experience never going to the gas station... just the thought of having to stop to get gas gives me nightmares now.

The range is another fun one. When EVs are mentioned everyone suddenly decides they need to go on cross country trips at least a couple of times a week. I have never in my life ran out of gas in an ICE vehicle and I have never ran out of range or even come close to it in the EV. It was definitely my biggest concern before owning an EV though.

The other one about fast acceleration getting old fast... no. It doesn't get old. In fact it has never gotten old in any car I've owned ICE or EV. This is especially true for a daily driver where you are constantly having to evade idiots on their phones. There is nothing like being stuck in a "cloud" of stupid... seeing a clearing... and blasting out of there. ICE or EV it's the best and no one beats EVs in that game.

I still enjoy taking out the mustang and rowing through gears. I like taking it out to the mountains and going through the twisty roads listening to the roar, but if I'm not doing that. I would take the EV all day.
Appreciate 2
ga9213364.50
yousefnjr6238.50