07-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #236
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
If Shiv can figure out how to get rid of the lag with V3, how in the world can't BMW engineers who designed the damn thing figure it out?
It appears to me that the changes they made to the wastegate duty cycle (in order to reduce rattles) did not seem sufficient to them in order to make a difference big enough to explain such side-effects. The engineers were more like "it can't be the software change, maybe it's all in the customer's head", and would have been too happy if the downgrade did not fix the problem. But now I have two foremen backing me up and the engineers are just beginning to accept that there is a real problem. They're back to square one now.

I would expect them to have tested the effects of the change, but as my foreman has told me, my car is one of only a few to show these problems. He would not accept the many reports from USA regarding this topic, since he argues they use another software for pollution regulatory reasons, so it cannot be compared directly (this is weak, I know).

Even some people here say they don't feel it at all or think it's neglectable.

So, it seems like some other factor than just the software itself might add up to actually cause the lag. As long as they cannot identify that factor, they are unlikely to just throw out the changes they have done from v28 to v29.2, at least as long as they don't know which specific change caused the problem. Some of the changes adressed protection against tampering with piggybacks and/or tunes and it could well be these changes that cause the trouble.

Noelle, Dinan and Vishnu have it easier: They just go back to pre-29.2 (in the case of Vishnu: pre-29.2 behaviour), since they don't really care about those new functions.

I agree on that such protection features should never interfere with normal operation (also, rattles do not justify possible lag). Looks kinda like when Microsoft's activation servers had gone wild and several Windows installations stopped working.

Last edited by meyergru; 07-02-2008 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0