View Single Post
      03-28-2023, 09:05 AM   #7
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekss View Post
Much appreciated. Thank you for the installation instructions.

How did your pump fail? Did you have the noise for some time and then it stopped working or? Mine is functional. No issues other than the noise.
I replaced mine with a "BBB" (new, not reman) from rock auto. I also do not have active steering, so it's a basic pump. In my case the OE pump had effectively eaten the bearings and the shaft had developed quite the wobble and leak (plus a grinding/groaning noise any time you turned the steering wheel under load)...I'm actually surprised it hadn't seized up and was still basically functional.

Due to how mine failed, I also replaced the power steering fluid reservoir/filter, all the lines, flushed the power steering cooler and the rack...put a new pulley on the new pump as well since I didn't know what the OE one might have gone through. If yours is just at the 'whine' phase you can probably just do the pump and reservoir bits along with new fluid to top off and skip the rest.

And note, the 4 bolts/screws attaching the pump bracket to the block are aluminum and must be replaced...the bolts that bolt the pump to the bracket can get reused though.

Last edited by JB20DGM; 03-28-2023 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0