View Single Post
      10-04-2023, 03:49 AM   #65
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

Does somebody know, if the F30 bushing repair kit fits e90? I see that for E90 EPS, bushing looks very similar to F30 one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD_e92 View Post
One final update for anyone searching for mysterious steering noises....

Adjusting the preload solved it.

The rattle / looseness in the front end got significantly worse in the last couple of weeks, to the point I was worried about driving it in case I lost steering.

After tightening the preload (to the point I couldn't turn the steering wheel - as warned previously) it was noticeably less audible (but not gone). Having found the sweet spot I took it for a test drive and to my surprise the noise was just as bad going over uneven surfaces. Brought it back in, up on jacks, and figured that the current clunk is coming from a faulty drop link. Ironic how a brand new (overpriced) Lemforder lasted just over 3 months (under 1k miles).

Either way, with new drop links and preload in the rack tightened she is good as new (and feels like you would want it to feel having spent a small fortune replacing all components with new).

Some images of what the preload mechanism looks like (the head is a soft aluminium and I ended up rounding it off even with the custom adjustment socket - luckily this is the old rack so I could mess around with it). There's service repair kits for the F series as the fault is found in those too, but nothing I could find for the E.

With the adjustment socket and new drop links, it worked out as a £50 fix. Shame the trial and error was so expensive
Appreciate 0