11-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #45
tinkerman
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '07 320i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdi View Post
Yes, a blow dryer has no switching, it's 90% resistive heating and 10% reactive AC motor.
... If you make the inverter drive a switching power supply I think you'll have a harder time finding the current limits of the server PSU. ...
In another forum (EEVBlog) the electronics/power geeks have commented that a heat gun (with TRIAC switching heat control), even if it were dialed down to say 700W would cause current spikes with power beyond the considered PSU output ratings (1200~1500W). (?!)

If the above is indeed true, it would mean that current spikes could be high enough to trigger the OCP(Over Current Protection) in the PSU and turn it off, or cause other issues with the PSU. I'll be looking into this further and update if possible. References are difficult to find.

Returning to your comment that I'd "have a harder time finding the current limits of the server PSU", this is in direct contrast to the comments I encountered in the other forum. So I must ask:

1. What watt rating hair dryer(s) have you used?
2. How much current did the hair dryer actually pull from the PSU?
3. What were the "unexpected results" of your tests? (with regard to the use of inverters and hair dryers)

TRIACs are like a can of worms... interesting but I'm starting to see the attraction of hair dryers!

Thanks...
Appreciate 0