View Single Post
      12-07-2023, 10:14 PM   #3
vaygr50
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnavigator View Post
vaygr50
How many wires were damaged? If you only have eight or ten damaged wires, it would be easy to repair the bad section of the wiring harness. Why don't you just cut out the bad section of wires and solder in new wires in the bad section. You can leave slack in the wires to make it easy and tie it up out of the way after you finish. Just make sure the new wire is the same size or larger than the bad wire. Cut and replace one wire at a time so you can make sure you don't make a mistake. You don't need to worry about wire color of your new wire since you will be working in the middle of the harness. Lets say your new wire is black and you are replacing a 1 foot section of a wire that is pink with a blue stripe. It will still be pink with a blue stripe at each end and just have a black wire in the middle. No harm no foul.
I was thinking of doing this but the section that is burned is a little hard to reach as that plastic piece is really holding the harness in very nice and tight. My only issue with that is ill be cutting some wires that go towards the engine and ill have to completely cut the wiring insulation all around the wires, there's just too many wires to replace if I do it like that. It is an option but I think personally, it would be much more beneficial to just somehow know how to take off the plastic piece. That way I replace The bad wires and I can see the damage and see what needs to be replaced instead of guessing in the dark assuming that only that section is fried.

Last edited by vaygr50; 12-07-2023 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0