View Single Post
      01-11-2024, 03:22 PM   #48
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I found a great deal on the pistons, and rods.

CSP Racing had the Mahle forged pistons on sale right now for around $900....about $200+ less than anyone else I found selling them.

I got the Manley rods from Summit Racing....$780 if I remember right.

So about $1700 give or take. Then you have the bearings, gaskets, head bolts, and miscellaneous stuff like that.....got that from FCP.

I probably could have gone with the cheap China brands like KingTec or Maxspeeding rods and pistons....you can get those for around $1,000-$1,200 a set, but I just couldn't find much information on them, and I knew Manley and Mahle were quality parts, and I wouldn't have to worry about stuff being machined wrong, or out of tolerance. I can't imagine the headache of dealing with those companies if something was out of spec and you needed to exchange parts out.

This whole project isn't really going to be cheap.....but it was either spend the money and do it right and have a fun and reliable engine, or cheap out and throw it back together....and always be nervous that something's going to come apart at any time....and then I'm back to square one.

For a brief moment I though about doing an LS swap because everyone says how "cheap" you can get an LS for, but when you actually start adding everything up, you will dump $12K+ into the adapter hardware, mounts, the Holley Terminator computer setup, and a decently building 500hp LS.......and still be slower than my N54 I've currently got.
How do the manley rods stack up against the stock forged ones? I was under the impression that the rods and crank were forged, correct me if im wrong. I was looking at forged pistons because I was told the N54 has cast iron. You're absolutely right about not cheaping out on parts, I bought some 19t's and had them shipped to turbo technics and after about a year they're starting to crap out on me. If you're going to drop 12k on an LS setup, I'd just get the crate motor from Butler, and you can sleep at night knowing you have quality parts.
Appreciate 0