View Single Post
      02-11-2024, 02:39 PM   #72
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

In middle of cover swap and other work

I pulled car apart and removed diff with 650i finned cover. I also pulled the (3) diff bushings in prep for installing rear OE 335d diff bushing. I had trouble getting large rear rubber one in but have a new tactic to get try again. If it proves to be a PITA, I will revert to the Powerflex ones as they are in perfect condition. Here are a few pictures.

You may recognize the diff brace bracket shown in 2nd picture. I carved a relief in side of it where the connecting h/w was grinding against the brace. It should clear now.

The cover comes with 8 screws of proper length. I had to swap 2 of the screws due to losing the thickness of the diff brace bracket backing them out. I got (2) M10x1.5x40 mm grade 10.9 with flanged heads from trusty Ace h/w.

I used same Motul 300 Gear 75W-90 gear oil. The cover has a slightly larger volume so that i needed almost all of the 2L I bought. I had like 6 oz left over. I really like the drain and fill port option. Also, he accomplishes the venting in a clever way.

Update: I used the new tactic on the large rear buishing and it damn sure worked. All 3 rubber bushings are now installed. Powerflex purples are in a baggie and will go to another good home maybe.

EDIT: I revised the labels on picture with 3 covers side by side. Earlier, I incorrectly labeled middle one as E60/M5. This middle cover has origins from 650i. Way up in this thread, I reference a thread over on 1 addicts forum where this is identified.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 03-29-2024 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0