View Single Post
      09-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #87
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_crome View Post
I believe the best way to resolve this would be to indicate the price of the car as a percentage of income earned by an individual.

i.e. US average income (granted this includes some portions of the US that are nearly third world in wages and conditions) $40K.

Therefore a 335i @ $42,000 US would be approximately 105% of an annual wage.

A 335i in Aus @ $112,000 AUS with an Annual Average Wage of $57,000 AUS would be approximately 196% of an annual wage.

Hence:

335i US = 105%
335i AUS = 196%

You guys do indeed live in the "lucky country" - you should see the proverbial shopping list of goodies I get hit with when I fly home - try explaining to customs why you exactly NEED 7 iPods and 3 laptops next time you fly international....
Just get an A-1 and you don't have to explain anything to customs nor wait in any lines. Also, why would anyone spend more than their annual salary on a car? We should have schools, parents, friends, colleagues that discourage such behavior. imho if a person earns 40k, they should be thinking about what they have to do to make 50k next year, 60k the year after that, and maybe 140k at some point. That to me is the avg. 3 Series buyer. Of course, if a person lives in a high cost-of-living area, had kids, etc., all bets are off.
Appreciate 0