View Single Post
      05-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #20
ziv
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i, SG, Sport

OK, quick review of the Logic 7 since I didn't have that much time with it.

It sounds great. I didn't have any CD's (forgot them at home), so I had to rely on Germany's radio stations. No complaints there :-) Cranked some pop, jazz and classical and it sounded great. Toward the end of my 10 hour trip, I stumbled on Pink Floyd The Wall on one of the radio stations. Cranked up the stereo, played with the EQ, put it on Music mode (Logic 7), and it sounded phenomenal :-) It was REALLY loud and REALLY clean :-) I'm sure I'll love it even more once the car gets back to the US and I can really test it out.

Drawback:

* couldn't make the Cinema mode sound good. I have no idea what it's meant for. Music mode sounded great. W/o those modes turned on, it seemed like the DSP wasn't working. This reminded me of my Harmon Kardon system on my 330Ci. With it enabled, it sounded like virtual surround. With it disabled, it sounded kinda dry. I looked in the dedicated stereo manual, and IT SUCKS !!! I've never seen a worse manual. There was nothing I learned from it, that I didn't already figure out by playing with it for 5 minutes. There was no explanation of the Logic 7 modes (Music/Cinema), and no real details on anything. I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable to go online and explain these technically.

* It has both EQ AND Treble and Bass. This seems silly. You can reset either the base/treble or the EQ, in one operation, so you can play with either one of them, or both, but to me, having both, seemed strange. You crank out the bass in the bass/treble section, and then you crank out the 80Hz or the 200Hz slider in the EQ, and now it's really muddy :-) You would think that if the radio saw that the user chose to play with the EQ, it would ignore the treble/bass settings. But the 2 work on top of each other.

* other drawbacks -- seems like the # of buttons could be minimized. They're using a lot of menus and submenus, AND there are tons of buttons. The geek in me likes it. But I don't think that many non-engineering folks would get to the submenus. Anyway, it's just a UI. The stereo sounds great.

* I was hoping to feel the subs under my seat. I didn't. Maybe they require a CD and some bass tuning...

* The seek up/down is slow. Again, not a big deal, but I had to mention it. Cars that cost 1/4 have stereos that seek and lock onto a station way faster. But then again -- another "who cares"...

* Overall, since I can't compare it to the non-Logic-7 and since I really like how it sounds -- I'll recommend it :-)
Appreciate 0