02-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog View Post
I did my tool shopping this weekend.

I got a long 17MM 6 sided socket for a 3/8 wrench ($3), a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter ($3), 1/2 150 ft-lb torque wrench that can handle 150lbs ($29) and a 3/8 adapter for my cordless drill ($3). The reason why I got 3/8 was because I could not find a 1/2 adapter for my cordless drill and I could not find a 3/8 torque wrench.

I broke loose the lug nuts with the torque wrench and finished the loosening with the cordless drill then reversed the process the when putting the tires back on.

Edit: I purchased the torque wrench and socket at Sears, the drill adapter at Home Depot and the 3/8-1/2 adapter at Harbor Freight.
For wheel work, every thing should be 1/2 drive. Second, NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen wheel bolts. If you keep with this practice you will damage the torque wrench and take it out of spec. Torque wrenches are only used to set the torque on fasteners, never to break the torque on a fastener. Get a nice 1/2 breaker bar from Sears to loosen the bolts.

In case you don't know, the wheel bolt torque for BMWs is 88 lb/ft. If you use use an extension bar, increase the torque a few pounds to compensate for the twist in the extension bar.
Appreciate 0