View Single Post
      02-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #55
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
Takin things a step further: the lincoln navigators 05 and up have the 6HP26 transmission. As such, they recommend Mercon SP. Is there any reason we would be more restricted on the fluids we're allowed to use? In other words, wouldn't absolutely any fluid that is Mercon SP certified work?
Which means as long as we have a good base stock like Redline, we'd be good to go for most any environment. Thoughts?
ok, Redline worries me. I have real world experience with it. I once tried it in my Acura, and i ended up draining then filling it back with OEM, hence my pessimism towards the brand.

The problem with your logic is this notion of "mercon SP certification". What process did redline go through to ensure compatability with the shell fluid? You can try redline, and it might be ok, but you would be experimenting.

Does USA made redline D6, or even royal purple for that matter:
-Certify seal compatability?
-Certify protection against rust and corrosion, in a european manufactured trans?
-have the right friction modifiers to ensure friction durability?

the reason why I lean towards transmax Z, or pentosin, is because ZF took the guess work out of it, and tested them along with quite a few other fluids, and ranked them based on drain fill intervals, i.e: TE ML 11A or B. transmax Z, and pentosin, are also TE ML 14C, and voith extended drain certified. Voith makes mass transit busses in europe, so they are both great for your high torque diessel.
Appreciate 0