11-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
I've done 40+ track days in my N54 and I can tell you that you'll need dual oil cores to get through 30min with weather > 75* - essentially everyone I know who tracks their N54 is running dual oil cores or hitting limp mode

I also run the CSF radiator, tranny cooler, distilled water & some E85. Car can run a full 30min session but oil temps are still the highest of my fluids.

Good to hear it's running though! We need more N54 track cars!
I would actually say I have done around 40 track days as well. I have also done 1h endurance racing with the N54 in around 32-34C heat. I insist you don't need dual oil coolers. You need more radiator. I have plenty of MHD and AiM data shared to datazap to back my claims, and have been documenting everything on the spo olstreet forum over the past year.

When I was only running dual oil coolers and no aux radiator I could literally hit around 115C water temp while oil was around 125C after one lap in very humid +100F heat with 450hp or so. After two laps I would hit power reduction due to coolant hitting 118C and oil would still be way below 140C.

I have now downgraded my oil coolers and added two aux radiators instead. Much better results.

Just for inspiration, the S55 has a total radiator area of 3200cm2 (one main + one aux) whereas the stock N54 has 2100cm2 (one main). The AT versions even less, as 10-15% of the radiator is used to heat and stabilize the transmission.

Now the S55 also has a much larger oil cooler, but nothing you can't match with a single oil cooler. Personally I still run two, but that is just because one of them is part of my semi-dry oil sump system. I have moved them both to one side, and selected a slim FMIC to allow for more space for radiators.

The reason people install oil coolers is because you can see the oil temperature rising in the cluster. What you cant see is that the water temps are much much worse. Also there aren't any decent aux cooler kits available, except the ppk.

Sometimes the masses can be wrong.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 11-05-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50