06-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #19
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I completely agree that a more equitable prize money distribution structure would help the teams further down the grid. I guess the point I was trying to get across is that while more money would have it easier for Williams to survive, there's no guarantee that they wouldnt be in this same situation a few years down the line. The prize money thats awarded to teams accounts for anywhere between 30%-50% of a teams budget (if memory serves me right). So if the team doesnt have strong leadership, they'll continue to get poor results, causing less sponsor interest, leading to less income and a potential sale of the company.

That all being said, I am all for a more equitable money distribution system. We cant afford to lose more teams and it seems its only going to get harder to find potential buyers for a team going forward.
I agree.

An article from 2017 - Gene Haas - Based on his statements I am surprised he is still in it, doubt he will last as he must understand that it is highly unlikely he will ever win a race

Quote:
“There’s a big gap. There’s definitely a big racing gap between the front-runners and the team at the back.”

A number of options to reduce costs and narrow the gap between teams throughout the field have been suggested, including spec parts or a budget cap.

While Haas doubts anything can be done to reduce the gap, he stressed the need for some kind of unpredictability in F1.

“If anything, my point of view is that it’s a gap we can’t reduce. With what our current resources are and what we know, it seems an impossible gap to reduce,” Haas said.

“I think some of it is that the top three teams are maybe quasi-manufacturers, and since they run the whole car and make the whole car, they understand it a lot better.

“So we’re always going to be at somewhat of a disadvantage to the manufacturers who understand the car better than we do.

“But I think there needs to be some kind of a randomness in the sport where even a team in the back has some possibility of winning once in a while.

“Not every race, but if you can never win in this sport, it’s really not going to be much of a sport.”

When asked if he was considering his team’s future in F1, Haas said: “Well we’re certainly committed to Formula 1.

“But if we never have a chance to win, I’d really have to question why we’re here.

“I think every team should have at least some possibility of winning a race once in a while, through a fuel strategy or some alternative.

“But the gap’s so big now that I just don’t see how we can possibly close it.”