View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #2221
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
You can do this already. Set your max. RPM in the custom module, flash Stage 3. Put your trans in S, put your foot on the gas. Job done.

You don't want ultra-fast shifts on a quartermile. You want a trade off between shift-speed and torque reduction during shift. The faster a shift, the more torque you have to back of during gear transition phase. This is exactly the reason why S-Mode is a little more smooth on Stage 3, compared to M-Mode, but still way more quicker than stock S-Mode.
RBT-Tuning
Yes, we do want ultra-fast shift's in the 1/4. If each shift takes .35-.4 seconds in stage 3 (per logs of cars on stage 3 mode) and we have to shift 3 times we're losing out on a significant chunk of time. A chunk of time that is pretty damn big for the drag strip. I know 1/4m isn't as big of a thing where you guys are from as it is in the US or even UK, but 90% of the reason people are buying Stage 3 is for S mode, which they use for straight-line speed. Yet even the demo videos you guys have showing how much xHP can shave off in the 1/4 has people using M mode and manually shifting. Not having to worry about missing the perfect 100rpm range because we're stuck manually shifting could be a game changer instead of making us pick our poison, and that is the reason auto's are the transmission of choice for the strip regardless of platform. Rob09 is a very active member of the N54 community, and look at his responses and questions - they prove half of my points.

That's not to even mention the fact that most of the 335's running stage 3 are fairly heavily modded or straight up have bigger turbos, where they can build TQ back up quicker than they're hindered by any "TQ-reducing smoothing" that would be "required". If you want to keep S mode on stage 3 factory-like in smoothness, then why cant we have the option for stage 4 at least? Stage 4 is in a weird backwards no-mans-land where people are told to use automatic mode for a circuit/road course when they'd benefit more from manually shifting, and us drag strip guys are having to stick to manual mode if we want fast shift times. It just makes no sense. Not trying to diss you guys at all because you've done an awesome job with xHP, but I don't get why time and time again you guys ignore us drag racers and/or tell your customers what they do or don't want. You have the capability and already have to put in the work, why not add it to both M and S modes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
and it sounds like this setting will alter torque reintroduction delay at higher shift speeds correct? Also sounds like slowing shifts may help people having shift bog.
Funny enough when I mentioned either of those things in their comments section on FB or in direct messages, I was told both of those things had to be solved in the DME by our tuners, because they had nothing to do with the TCU tunes. I don't know if they have differen't people handling the FB questions than the Forums questions or if their own team is confused on how the product works, but something smells fishy.

I've been using it since the first minute it was released and love it, love the improvements, but this whole "no, we will not allow proper S mode shifting" thing is frustrating as all hell for some of us. Just let more people pay you for the customization module damn it lol.