Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Thanks Kai,

More reassured now

What about a decent 6 chan amp as an alternative, one which is compact and able to fit into the left side compartment of the boot (directly opposite to where the battery is in the right side)
I've never been a fan of 6-ch amps because we do not have 6 channels with identical power requirements. I am a fan of headroom however, and with 75W per channel (or less), you just don't have enough power for transients and demanding listening passages.

The Morels definitely will be choked by 75W, I can guarantee you that much. The Jehnerts, they can probably handle 100 - 150W with the right highpass filter (even though I would be very careful with these), and the sides/rears they need only about 50W max (in Logic7).

So I would go with the headroom on the channels that count. For the rest of the system, you always have the option to buy a 5-channel amp later on, to amp the center, the sides/rears, and the sub. Something like this: http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/repo...dp5-amplifier-

Edit: I bought my HD amps used and for about half the price of new ones, and I never looked back. I started with the 600/4 and jumped on an offer I couldn't refuse. The 900/5 came later, and was a similar deal. I cannot imagine having gone the route of purchasing different (new) amps at the same cost as these used ones, and now being stuck with too little power, and less SQ. I would always be wondering...what if?! The point is, you seem to be looking at a great deal on a great, top-of the line amp (certainly comparable to my HD600/4), so don't blink man - I wouldn't!

Last edited by kaigoss69; 09-28-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0