View Single Post
      02-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Winkdinkerson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Thanks to Entity for the DIY. I did the waterpump and thermostat on a 2010 328i LCI auto with 70K miles. It really is a bear - took me over 8 hours (without breaks), with car on stands.

I removed the passenger side wheel well cover and the electric fan. That really helped - the location of the pump and T-stat is so cramped that any extra space for maneuvering was welcome . Unlike most posters, I removed the water pump first, although I had to disconnect the large hose from the radiator to the thermostat in order to get at the infamous 3rd bolt on the water pump which faces the front of the car. I was able to remove the 3rd bolt using a stubby 3/8 ratchet and a universal extension.

I could not figure out how to remove the T-stat before the water pump, because one of the hose clamps on the T-stat was impossible to get at either from topside or underneath without removing the water pump first to gain access. However,when I started putting things back in, I connected two of the hoses on the T-stat first, then installed the water pump, then bolted the T-stat to the pump and finished the hose connections.

A flexible hose clamp driver REALLY helps, because of the awkward location of those hose clamp bolts. The hose clamp bolts seem to be 6mm, so any flexible driver with a 1/4 inch or 6 mm socket works. Another helpful hint is that when re-attaching the hose fittings with the U-shaped spring clips, keep the clips in the closed position, then push the fittings together (after properly orienting them) until you hear a "click." That will ensure a proper seal.

On my old e46, I replaced the water pump, T-stat, upper and lower radiator hoses, AND the expansion tank in much less time (about 3 hrs) than in this e90. Spent a lot of time cursing the new design.
Appreciate 0