02-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #46
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So how do you exactly know you have improved 1.5 MPG on the highway? How have you tracked just your highway mileage MPG?

I keep exact records of all my cars MPG using a book and recording the miles driven and gallons for a complete fill up for every tank of gas (I completely fill the tank every time). I never saw any long term increase in overall average MPG in any car I used a K&N filter in.

There is no benefit to using a K&N. If a manufacturer could magically gain 1.5 MPG (and horsepower) on the highway rating for its cars using a less restrictive filter, it would use that filter as a production part and would make the cleaning of the filter as part of the scheduled maintenance program; especially BMW, which get constantly fined for not meeting U.S. CAFE requirements.
fyi yes hwy mileage. Prior to install I took the time to measure mpg on a specific roadway, cruise control on, air conditioner off. Reset the computer at at a marker on the roadway and noted average mpg at the end point. Did this several times.
Did the same shortly after install. Same conditions. Ambient air temp was very close before and after as was wind speed and direction.

I did the same for my AA tune, measuring before and after.

I don't know if your assertion about the manufacturer is necessarily true. Perhaps it's true in this case (I really don't know, I'm simply passing on my personal experience about a product), but manufacturers do not always optimize performance; sometimes they compromise to meet the preferences of many people in different markets.
Appreciate 0