View Single Post
      12-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
You need to hold those responsible for shoddy workmanship or misdiagnosis to mercy. (Who took the strut bar off last? eg. Spark plug or coil replacement)
I won't start any wars here but sometimes taking your car to the wrong independent shop may end up costing as much as taking it to the dealer.

Check locally (ebay, google, sparesbox, Repco, Supercheap) before buying from overseas because the government really screwed us over when they clamped down on import duty and GST on overseas purchases.
I'm more hesitant these days buying from overseas because of this. You are at the mercy of your chosen shipping company because they charge whatever they want for brokerage, then you pay GST, import duty if the shipment is over a certain amount and they try to sting you for allegedly importing asbestos containing goods, forcing you to sign a disclaimer just to get your goods. Sellers don't always disclose country of origin (FCP makes a good effort but there are some items which don't have this info. I used to enjoy ordering on a Saturday and getting my stuff mid week. Now it takes longer for the parcel to pass the local red tape than it does actually flying from USA. Fedex's tracking also goes into limbo during this phase and it really leaves you hanging.

The only reasons i still buy from sites like FCP is to bypass the local arrogance and dumbfuck staff and also access better quality OEM or equivalent parts. Oh and i guess it still is cheaper than buying genuine parts locally.

Repco and Supercheap have recently massively expanded their range available online. You just have to search properly or ask the right questions. They do a lot more than just what they have on the shelf. Kudos to them.

Check your rocker cover gasket - is it leaking? If the coils have truly arced out and blown holes in the bores of your magnesium rocker cover, you'd have more problems/symptoms (much like opening the oil cap on a running motor).

Inspect your serpentine belt, pulleys top radiator hose near the belt, coolant hose to the head also near the belt for oil contamination. You'll need some suitable coolant and also change your oil after the oil filter housing repair.

For the radiator, don't forget the additional bungs for the transmission cooler (or at least the seals). Budget also for new hoses if any of the quick release couplers shatter upon disturbance.
Everyone please listen to this wise man. He is truly a wealth of knowledge
Appreciate 0