View Single Post
      08-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #399
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Not much to report with the car at present.

Today marks the 1st year of my ownership - bought it on 20/08/15 with 24.5k miles on the clock and a year later its now on 39k miles.

So, 12 months and 13.5k miles later I think its safe to say the car has moved on considerably!

In anticipation of the AUC warranty ending I had it booked in 6 weeks early for its MOT.

Whilst it was at BMW back in July it was identified that a few things needed some attention, so they were done this week as it was my first chance to leave the car for a few days.

Oil leak on transmission - cleaned and not replicated
Oil leak on differential - final drive input seal was replaced, resulting in a bonus oil change for the diff
Glow plug replacement for cylinder 5

The car also had a slight hesitation under load, but this was that intermittent that some weeks would go by without issue, followed by some days where it may happen 2 or 3 times, then only to disappear again. Very frustrating and no fault codes logged, so BMW were unable to diagnose without me paying a ludicrous amount of money for their 'diagnostics' if either

a) they stripped parts off and couldn't find the issue - I would be liable for their labour
b) they stripped parts off and found the issue, only then to find that the AUC didn't cover the issue - I would still be liable for the labour

Faced with those options I naturally didn't want to sign myself up to an expensive exploratory mission courtesy of potentially unlimited BMW labour charges!

However there was some luck on my side as when they replaced the glow plug on cylinder 5, they discovered that there were loose bolts on the fuel rail! According to the tech working on my car, he has seen that once before, and the symptoms were similar to mine - a slight hesitation. Bolts have been replaced and so far, touch wood, there has been no re-occurance of the issue!

For total peace of mind I have also opted to take out the extended BMW / Mondial warranty on the car, with the full level of cover, breakdown and a £0 excess. Expensive at £680 for the year, but should give me a good level of cover and peace of mind for the next 12 months of ownership!!!
Appreciate 0