View Single Post
      11-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I once saw a car spun out in front of me when the automatic transmission downshifted at the exit of a turn when he put the hammer down.

If you don't know how to shift for yourself, at least DON'T LET THE CAR SHIFT FOR YOU. Put it in manual mode and make sure you are doing all the upshift and downshift. Car's not that smart (or good) when it comes to when to pick the shift point, especially when kick-down is involved.
While I will be eternally grateful to you for your ideas on hosing down the radiator between sessions, I respectfully have to disagree with you heavily on this one. Note that the 335I 6AT's logic is still in effect when in Manual mode. You approach and exit your typical corner in 3rd gear. In manual mode, even if you down shift to second, the car will automatically upshift to 3rd, mid corner to prevent the excess wheel spin from the open differential. This will cost you 3 seconds in the corner, and save your life. You are fastest if you just leave the car in DS, and stay in 3rd through out the corner. If equipped with proper track tires, you will be even with an E46 M3 in the same corner, that is equipped with Street tires.

Also note that the only way to by pass/trick the transmission logic and enter in 2nd and exit WOT into 3rd is to do a double tap of the tranny before, and mid way through the turn, forcing it to stay in 2nd. If you are not timing it well enough the tranny will upshift. I have seen NO advantage time wise with using manual mode at the track in an open differential vehicle, only a penalty of up to 3 seconds, in the turn, and loads of excessive tranny build up. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0