View Single Post
      06-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #64
Mirage17738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Wagon

Does anyone have an authorized dealer I can contact in Canada or the US who can provide me with a recall letter without raping my wallet? Just brought up an 07 wagon and having a hard time getting the proper documentation. The letter I did receive was from a dealership, but not an authorized one I figure. Called the local BMW dealer and they sent me this reply:

BMW and MINI vehicles are built to operate correctly and to meet safety requirements in their respective markets. In Canada some of these important requirements that differentiate USA to Canadian cars are related to Daytime Running Lights (DRL), different instrumentation, hardware and software components.
The high sophistication of components involves a large amount of interactions and interdependencies between the fitted control units of a vehicle. This highlights the importance of carrying out a proper USA-Canada conversion as recommended by BMW AG, which not only ensures compliance of the systems, but also ensures the correct operation and interaction of all control units.
While some features can be modified by means of software* which might appear to fulfill Canadian compliance and technical requirements for a correctly functioning vehicle, they do not. This type of modification is not suitable for correct functioning of the Daytime Running Lights and therefore cannot ensure compliance.
BMW Group does not support hard-wiring of Daytime Running Lights due to the complexity of the vehicle electronics.
*On certain USA vehicles, depending on model, production date and specification, it is possible to have the Daytime Running Lights turned on by means of:
The Personal Profile feature which allows the driver to switch the DRL function on and off from within the car using either the Controller
(i-Drive) or Instrument Cluster functions.
Turning on the DRL via the Controller or Instrument Cluster does NOT constitute compliance.

Installation of Canadian Instrument Cluster ($1420.99), Programming Vehicle & Adapting Daytime Running Lights & Adapting Canadian Vehicle Order Number =
$1914.99
Vehicle Compliance/Recall Letter from BMW Canada = $500.00

Total Conversion Cost = $2415.99
**Price may vary depending on VIN# **

WOW!
Appreciate 0