Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Menace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
At this point in these cars age it's not worth it at all to get a diff from bmw. They're gonna have to get those they have in stock and throw them away because nobody is gonna buy a new one. Just get the scrap yard one make sure it turns around good and all and good to go.

Installation and removal is not the end of the world if you're mechanically inclined. Just unbolting 3 of the 6 bolts at the driveshaft (replace rear guibo if you have it) then unbolt the 6 torx in each axle at the back and unbolt the thing off the diff mounts. I'm still for you getting a diff from a 328xi auto
The guy that will go with me to take the dif off at the scrap yard says you are able to tell if the dif is good by just looking at it or opening it, is that true? Or does it have to be installed on the car to tell if it’s good
Lol I've never heard of that. That's the equivalent of saying you can look at a transmission from the outside and know if it's good or not. At least he has to turn the gears and such and see if it feels good or is too tight etc. But if he gives you some kind of warranty for the service go ahead. Make sure it's an automatic xdrive 328i/325i you get it from. Should give some pep to your 323 and these differentials basically never go out.
Appreciate 0