08-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #72
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
lol about the loud exhaust comments.

1) A muffler delete is loud, but it isn't THAT loud unless you are literally flooring it through the garage. It isn't a jack hammer. Unless your apt building is built like sh*t, or is 75+ years old, I'm sure the quality of construction is ample to keep your exhaust note to a subtle humm, if it is even perceptible at all, through all of that concrete and insulation. Furthermore, if an individual wants/needs absolute peace and quiet, they should move to the country. Period. Living in a city with high-rise buildings and all the "bustle" means that you're immediately giving up your rights to constant peace and quiet, if you ask me, unless you work hard enough to ball out and buy/rent that penthouse away from the riff-raff. The excitement and bustle is what attracts people to the cities. If you don't like it, gtfo. Most of the surface of mother Earth is quiet peaceful and away from "noise."

All that said, if it's that easy to code out your cold-start, and you do live somewhere where it's an issue, this might be the time to do so. It's been a while since I've heard a 335i with a muffler delete, so maybe it's louder than I remember. But if someone complained about my PE with cat delete, I'd laugh and tell them to get over it. I promise you exotics are just as loud, and only the most crotchety person ever would complain about the sound from such a beautiful machine.

2) The majority of the US workforce, especially depending on where you live, works from 8-5. Maybe this is just me, but the typical and understood times to be quiet so as to please most of your neighbors is in between 10 PM and 7 AM. If someone is mad because someone is using their skill saw, in their own backyard, during the DAYLIGHT (8 pm in the summer), then that's on you. You're the one with the odd schedule. Sure your neighbor could be considerate and keep things quiet for you during more normal hours IF you establish a friendship/repertoire with them, but you should never *expect* people to care about their noise levels (unless they are absolutely extreme.. which a muffler delete is not) during the hours of 7 AM to 10 PM. If you have special needs regarding this, I believe it is on you to reach out to your neighbors and request such.

Now this doesn't mean that I think everyone in an apartment complex has the right to blare their music all day long, annoying their connecting neighbors. But starting your car to go somewhere is unavoidable, and the noise will last for a minute or less. If someone has their panties in such a wad from that, they're probably just a miserable person, generally speaking, anyway.

3) It's already been covered but it's sad that 99% of people would rather cause damage and destruction that have to look someone in the face and talk about how they feel or admit that they did something wrong.

OP, I hope you find out who did all of this, but I doubt you will. They're probably *just* smart enough to notice that you now have a dash cam, and will stop messing around. Their point has been made, I suppose, anyway. Who knows what the real motivation was to inflict this vandalism. Ass-holes.

Last edited by atmosphericM; 08-17-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 1