View Single Post
      05-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
Holtdahooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35d

I really appreciate the suggestions and input guys. Only views and crickets from n54tech.

Belt and pulleys were replace ~500 miles ago so that's out. Water pump replaced ~1k ago.
I did have a slight chain "slapping" noise at idle back in january. A tech friend suggested a worn tensioner bolt, cleared that right up. Never got codes for this but replaced both Vanos solenoids just in case.

I do have oil consumption that increase with long highway trips (drinks 1qt every 3k miles). I have the RB upgraded pcv valve, replaced the plastic flapper hose and installed a catch can which has collected next to nothing over the years.

Running w/o primary and secondary cats, stock resonator and muffler delete. Friends have driven behind me and noted zero smoke from the exhaust during normal driving or WOT pulls. They have however seen small puffs of smoke under hard decel (*where I'm hearing my sound). Downpipe V- band clamps are not loose.

Don't believe it's drivetrain related. Transmissions been out, bolts, clutch, flywheel, mounts, driveshaft, differential have all be replaced. I know you can't tell from the videos but the sound is specifically coming from the from under the hood. I will attempt to borrow a GoPro and get a video from under the hood soon.

The noise only happens when in any gear, car moving at any speed and engine breaking from above 3k rpms. Not replicable while holding at a constant rpm, in neutral or with car in gear on a lift.
Appreciate 0