Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [5.00]
DIY: e9x with Sport paddles to DCT Paddles 3 in 1 DIY

3 DIY's in 1

1) Steptronic to M3 DCT paddle swap
2) Wiring M3 DCT paddles to work with LCI DCT paddles
3) Creating paddle provisions

First and foremost, in this DIY, you will be working around the airbag. If you have fear or don't know how to use logic and reason, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! Or anyplace else.
Please read the thread all the way through. Make sure that you have the ability, tools and know how to do each step before starting it at all.
I am not responsible for airbag discharge, property damage or bodily injury. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
I have modded cars for over 40 years now. I have worked with munitions from .22 cal to WMD's. I have a high regard and respect for anything has the capability to rapidly release a great volume of force and pressure. Don't fear the airbag, respect what it is capable of! If we are clear on that, let's move on. If not, look for another DIY you feel more comfortable with.

Part 1: Removing Stock Paddle

Tools: #20 torx driver, #20 torx bit, 1/4" drive 1/4" socket or 1/4" drive bit adapter, 1/4" ratchet, Small flat head screwdriver, plastic trim removal tool and #40 torx driver or punch similar in size.

Follow the steps in order in the photo below. Use the trim removal too to remove the trim. It is a bit snug, but it will slide out under the lip of the airbag. Be cautious on your right side pulling up or out on the trim. The harness connected to the back of your right side multi-function (MF) switch is very short.

Attachment 977723

Attachment 977724

If you want to use a flat head screwdriver to release the airbag, make sure that you have the blade flat in a horizontal position. Whatever you use, make sure it isn't larger than the guide hole and follow the angle of the passage as shown by the red lines in the photo above. While unlocking the airbag, pull up slightly on the side of the airbag that you are unlocking. You will feel it release.

Attachment 977725

Attachment 977726

Attachment 977727

On this last step, I got mixed up. If you have a steering wheel that has provisions for DCT paddle, then you can just install the Sport paddle switch.
So in Step 2, you will unplug the battery, disconnect the battery and remove the steering wheel. Please excuse me while I get started on Step 2. I hope to add it to this DIY this evening.

Attachment 977728

Last edited by BMWE934me; 03-15-2015 at 12:08 PM.