05-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #62
Crusader
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I know this is beating a dead horse, but how can you say "BMW owners have found their engines have a lot of sludge accumulation with change intervals of that duration"? I've never read anywhere on the net, in magazines, or from anywhere else that BMW owners who follow the recommended OCIs find sludge in their engines. I've run three (3) BMWs to 256,000 (1989 E30), 152,000 - current mileage (1997 Z3), and my '06 E90 currently at 170,000 miles, all at the respective CBS directed oil change intervals, and none of those engines had or have any sludge in them. That is over 570,000 of combined miles of driving. My E90 at 170,000 miles burns a quart of oil about every 14,000 miles or so with an average OCI of 17,500 miles; but that doesn't prove anything.

If owners want to follow the CBS or change early it's their prerogative; but what is tiring is people who come on this forum and make emphatic statements like yours, which have no basis in truth and are just opinion.

Rant over...
Sludge complaints were common among 540i owners on the E39 board, I also qualified the comment saying no damage had been done. The E30 didn't have a CBS per se, it was a simple 7,500 mile interval (essentially what I'm doing on my E92). The E36/4 service was based on fuel consumption only, no elaborate algorithms there. The E9x is more complex and my E92 must like the way I drive, for its CBS recommends first oil change at 19,500 miles or thereabouts; evidently the current CBS figures in duty cycles, etc.

I thought it was pretty clear I was offering an opinion, sorry that opinion rubbed you the wrong way. Service intervals on the BMW essentially doubled when service became "free." Is that driven by engineering or marketing? I haven't a clue, but I have my suspicions. Actually, my main motive was to express my exasperation about those who spread doom and gloom should one use an oil other than those few that are "BMW approved."

OBTW, I'm happy that you have had such trouble free ownership experiences.
Appreciate 0