View Single Post
      05-12-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
My 330i 6MT came stock with 3.15 diff. I upgraded to 3.64 from a RWD automatic and I feel that's about perfect for the MT. It's a few hundred RPS higher on the highway, not buzzy or annoying, it feels like it can easily pass most traffic without downshifting and the torque multiplication in the low gears feels like extra HP, which it is not just some borrowed against your top speed. IDK how the 3.91 would be, a few more revs over the 3.64. What kind of driving do you do? Unless you're doing a lot of high speed highway cruising where it might feel a bit frantic after a while I think it'll be fine.
I do mostly city driving. That said, on the freeways in the city 70 mph is not uncommon for me. It's amazing how early the AT shifts into 5th or even 6th during city driving, so I'm sure it'll be an adjustment running higher RPMs regularly.

Sorry—what are you saying about torque multiplication in low gears not being something against your top speed? Didn't quite follow that.

The gap between the AT and MT ratios averages 7% from first to fourth, but then climbs to 18% in fifth and 27%(!) in sixth. Any idea why this is? Is there some logical explanation for this?