View Single Post
      03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #70
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Ahhhhhh so there is two levels to priming the oil [system] when the oil filter housing is opened.

I'm now curious which "priming" is done at the oil changes AND ofhg work at the dealership?

Did we ever get their SIB on the OFHG priming.

This keeps getting better and better...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
What I said was "I prime, i.e. fill, the oil filter and housing every oil change." That is commonly known as priming the oil filter. Google [prime oil filter]. This is similar to priming a water pump, i.e. you fill the volute with water prior to starting the pump. Later in the my discussion I state that it would be a good idea on the N55 to spin the engine over which primes the oil pump and oil galleries. I never said or implied that priming the oil filter housing primed the entire lubrication system. I just said this is something I routinely do when I change my oil.

When I prime the oil filter, I have the filter installed in the housing, then fill the center of the filter with oil which slowly drains down through the center hole in the housing and also saturates the filter element. I continue pouring oil into the filter until the housing is full, then I quickly insert the cap which has the center cage and o-ring tip that seals hole in the center of the filter housing. Is the filter housing completely full of oil? No. But it has far more oil in there than if I had not filled it first. Note also that there is a check valve in the oil filter housing that holds oil in the housing after the engine is shutdown. This is the anti-drain back valve. The oil only drains out of the oil filter housing after you remove the oil filter cap which has the center cage and o-ring on the tip to seal that center drain hole.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0