View Single Post
      06-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #25
XJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The factory N54 and N55 tuning varies boot based air density to keep power consistent. At lower densities it also runs additional boost to make up for the extra pumping losses. The result is the factory boost can vary from 7-10psi peak depending on the elevation and weather while keeping power output more or less constant. It always has a heavy amount of taper after peak boost.

With the N54 the JB4 uses an absolute targeting system regardless of air density. Which is the real strength of N54 piggybacks vs. the N54 flash tunes out today. The tuning logic then adjusts that absolute target as needed. Users use a preset map or enters their own. Since their interface deals with absolute targets they will say "13psi", "15psi tapering to 12psi at redline", etc.

With the N55 the JB Stage1 adds boost to the factory boost target. The user can enter the maximum amount of boost allowable over the factory target. The default is +3.5psi. So, you'll see N55 Stage 1 users talking about +3.5psi, +5psi, etc, as that is how their interface is setup.

And of course with flash tuning boost is all over the place based on air density like the OEM logic so you'd have a range. Say 13-16psi from cold to hot, etc.
Mike
Somehow you managed to turn this into a negative for flash tunes. If I interpret your point if view correctly, you believe that it's good that the car is fast early in the morning when it's cold outside, and slow during lunchtime when the temps are up.

I don't know about the rest of the people on the board, but I like consistency in cars.
Appreciate 0